Marble Granite quality quantity check
Marble Quality check at site
Whatever you are purchasing regarding marbles and granite, either it be for floors or counter slabs, you must perform quality checks such as:
- Marble or granite should be hard and when rubbed with some hard object by force, the chips from surface of marble or granite should not split.
- It should give ringing sound when struck gently
- Certain natural marbles and granites have deep cuts and marks on surface that extend throughout the depth. These cuts and marks remain forever and cannot be treated or removed during polishing. These marks affect the overall ambience of floors or slabs hence try not to buy any such pieces.
- While purchasing floors or marble, make sure most of the pieces are uniform in tone and color. Some marbles such as botticina fancy or Verona have different tones and colors that are only visible after polishing. While purchasing non-polished marble flooring pieces, tone can be checked by spilling water on the surface of multiple non-polished marble pieces and 90% of the pieces should have uniform tone.
- Thickness of either slabs or flooring pieces of marbles or granites should be same.
- Natural granites should not have artificial color applied on their surface for shining purposes. Rubbing a wet cloth on polished side of granite can easily check this.
- Some marbles and granites have natural defects such as more absorbency. Such marbles loose their ambience more quickly with time as compare to other. Discuss with suppliers and try not to buy such varieties of marble or granites.
- Like absorbency, some marbles and granites also have natural deep cuts that make them vulnerable. Discuss with suppliers and try not to buy such varieties of marble or granites.
Marble Quantity check at site
Once purchased material reaches your construction site, calculating quantity is a simple job for square or rectangular pieces, as you only have to measure length and width to get its total square feet. In case it has any kind of rectangular or other shape, measurement of length shall be taken from largest side called hypotenuse between points A and C, width shall be taken from point B to midpoint of AC.
Rates of same variety of marble or granite can vary with required size of slabs. E.g. if width of your required slab exceeds 2 ft., rate of same marble or granite will be doubled. For larger sizes it can become even more expensive than double however there is a certain limit for both lengths and widths maximum available for different varieties of marble or granite.